[dundee] Tonight's Meeting Cancelled

Colin Brough Colin.Brough at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Dec 3 10:26:01 GMT 2003

> > But we also set a date for the next meeting for the 12th of January -
> > Mark is going to try and confirm the room/practical arrangements. I've
> > asked Angie from webtrust.org.uk to come along to talk about
> > volunteering, so all being well we've got some specific content.
>
> Is that doing volunteer linux work or to what are we referring?

Sorry, its been mentioned on the list before, so I forgot to set the
context again:

At a previous meeting of the LUG we wondered about possible things we
could "do" as a LUG. Various things were floated - sharing wireless
hotspots, I think someone mentioned building an in-car MP3 player
(running Linux, of course!), and perhaps doing voluntary computer work
for a local charity, using Linux - setting up a disk or print server,
configuring free office software on an older PC, etc.

In thinking about how we might explore the latter I stumbled on
webtrust.org.uk, a Dundee based charity who seek to bring those with
computing expertise willing to volunteer in touch with voluntary
organisations who might need such help. I e-mailed them, and got a
reply from Angie - in her reply she was very positive, having dabbled
in Linux in the past herself. In particular, putting an up-to-date
distro with a light window manager on an older PC might well give them
access to a reasonably recent word-processor or spreadsheet without
shelling out for MS products or expensive new hardware....

So, Angie is coming to speak to us on the 12th of January, to describe
what webtrust does, hopefully make some suggestions about where Linux
might fit in with the network of contacts she has, and spark a
discussion about how we might volunteer, either collectively or as
individuals...

What we are talking about in this instance is not the volunteering of
contributing code or documentation to open-source projects.

Is that clearer? Sorry for not being explicit!

Cheers

Colin

Colin Brough                             Colin.Brough at blueyonder.co.uk