[dundee] [jtsmoore@revolution-os.com: Re: Screening of Revolution OS]

Andrew Clayton dundee at lists.lug.org.uk
Fri Jul 18 00:05:01 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 23:14, jim wrote:
> I logged on as jim then open a terminal and type su root
> that works but when i try fdisk i get command not found?

You did

	su root

right?

This does not do a full login, you do not execute roots ~/.bash* and you
do not end up in ~root. Basically all it does is change your euid.

	su - root

Will do a full interactive root login. As if you have logged in as root
from the console.

So with the first case running just fdisk won't work, as it's usually in
/sbin which is not in a normal users path.

With the second case, it works as expected.

> if I loggon as root from the logon screen all my settings are gone which
> is a pain?

???

--
Andrew