[dundee] [jtsmoore@revolution-os.com: Re: Screening of Revolution OS]

Mark Harrigan dundee at lists.lug.org.uk
Fri Jul 18 21:42:01 2003

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 05:32:47PM +0100, jim wrote:
> just in from work had a quick read thanks for the tips will try them
> later and let you know.
>
> I will stick with trying to learn linux as I dont like the way that
> microsoft does business, and would love to dump them. but I stand by my
> coments regarding linux being to hard for "mr average" to learn quickly,
> and therefore "mr average" wont bother he will stick with windows.

Linux was never intended for Mr Average and mplayer certainly
wasn't. I don't know why there's this fascination with taking on
Microsoft.

Only impassioned people use Linux atm, it's used by them
because they're interested in how computers really work or because
they disagree with paying for software or both, these people are
prepared to work a little, in fact when talking about nerds that's
what they enjoy the most, the challenge, the fact that they really
control every little thing.

The people who actually develop the software for Linux are these same
nerds and don't want people to have it that easy, they want it to
insanely powerful and that comes at a price, frankly I feel you're
going to wait a long time for that level of ease of use purely because
nerds are trying to impress nerds, not real people because real people
only bitch and moan and ask the same stupid questions over and over
again. (Can you tell I've worked as tech support? :)) Someone who
creates something in his/her own free time is not going to be up for
that, it's totally unreasonable.

The only way Linux is going to come down to that level is if someone
invests money and as yet I've only seen two companies who really want
that level of ease of use, Xandros and Lindows and guess
what... that'll be $$$ pls k thx. (I don't know about the people
behind Xandros but Lindows are just as unscrupulous as Microsoft in
their wheelings and dealings.) And how do the other companies based
around Linux that have free downloads available make cash?
Support. Methinks they like it to be just a bit of a challenge. In
short someone always pays and to be brutally honest so they should,
people are using the most complex thing man has ever created and they
can't be bothered to learn a little?! People should stay in their own little
controlled world without sharp edges and potholes in that case.

Mark (Elitest Bastard Extraordinaire)