[dundee] [jtsmoore@revolution-os.com: Re: Screening of Revolution OS]

Andrew Clayton dundee at lists.lug.org.uk
Sat Jul 19 01:33:00 2003

On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 21:41, Mark Harrigan wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 05:32:47PM +0100, jim wrote:
> > just in from work had a quick read thanks for the tips will try them
> > later and let you know.
> >
> > I will stick with trying to learn linux as I dont like the way that
> > microsoft does business, and would love to dump them. but I stand by my
> > coments regarding linux being to hard for "mr average" to learn quickly,
> > and therefore "mr average" wont bother he will stick with windows.
> >

> Linux was never intended for Mr Average and mplayer certainly
> wasn't. I don't know why there's this fascination with taking on
> Microsoft.
>
> Only impassioned people use Linux atm, it's used by them
> because they're interested in how computers really work or because
> they disagree with paying for software or both, these people are

Personally, I started using Linux, because I wanted to run UNIX on my
PC. It grew from there....

> prepared to work a little, in fact when talking about nerds that's
> what they enjoy the most, the challenge, the fact that they really
> control every little thing.
>
> The people who actually develop the software for Linux are these same
> nerds and don't want people to have it that easy, they want it to
> insanely powerful and that comes at a price, frankly I feel you're
> going to wait a long time for that level of ease of use purely because
> nerds are trying to impress nerds, not real people because real people
> only bitch and moan and ask the same stupid questions over and over
> again. (Can you tell I've worked as tech support? :)) Someone who
> creates something in his/her own free time is not going to be up for
> that, it's totally unreasonable.
>
> The only way Linux is going to come down to that level is if someone
> invests money and as yet I've only seen two companies who really want
> that level of ease of use, Xandros and Lindows and guess
> what... that'll be $$$ pls k thx. (I don't know about the people
> behind Xandros but Lindows are just as unscrupulous as Microsoft in
> their wheelings and dealings.) And how do the other companies based
> around Linux that have free downloads available make cash?
> Support. Methinks they like it to be just a bit of a challenge. In
> short someone always pays and to be brutally honest so they should,
> people are using the most complex thing man has ever created and they
> can't be bothered to learn a little?! People should stay in their own little
> controlled world without sharp edges and potholes in that case.

Which is why it's good to have the likes of SuSE, Red Hat, Mandrake and
Connectiva around. They pay people to do the stuff that other hackers
don't want to do. e.g docs, nicey nicey stuff etc

Also having the likes of IBM/HP/Oracle/SAP/CA  and many others, on board
will only help this situation.

--
Andrew