[dundee] kernel compilation

Andrew Clayton dundee at lists.lug.org.uk
Mon Jul 21 23:43:01 2003

On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 22:22, Mark Harrigan wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 10:07:54PM +0100, keirlawson@btopenworld.com wrote:
> > can somebody direct me to a site about kernel compilation (newbie) or email me some instructions as to how to recompile a kernel.  i need to have the latest one to fix the fuzzy sound.
>
> To be honest the best explaination is supplied with the kernel,
> download it, uncompress it to /usr/src/linux and read the README. Do

It is probably ok to use /usr/src/linux in newer distros, but older
distros used to have symlinks from /usr/include/linux and
/usr/include/asm to the right bits of /usr/src/linux

The usr/src/linux HAD to match the version of libc/glibc installed. So
putting a new kernel source in there would be a major problem. Today,
certainly with Red Hat, you have a glibc-kernelheaders package which
contains /usr/inlcude/linux and /usr/include/asm so the symlinking is
gone.

http://www.kernelnewbies.org/faq/index.php3#headers

Anyways I always just use a src directory of my home.

--
Andrew