[dundee] kernel compilation

Andrew Clayton dundee at lists.lug.org.uk
Thu Jul 24 02:37:01 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 01:30, keirlawson@btopenworld.com wrote:
> >  from:    Andrew Clayton <andrew@sol-1.demon.co.uk>
> >  date:    Tue, 22 Jul 2003 20:23:23
> >  to:      dundee@mailman.lug.org.uk
> >  subject: Re: [dundee] kernel compilation
> >
> > On Tue, 2003-07-22 at 20:04, keirlawson@btopenworld.com wrote:
> > > i have sucsesfully recompiled my kernel with con's patchset but im getting a few more errors than before:  as the kernel boots up i get the following message: agpgart: unsupported via chipset (can't remember all of it) and then later on in the boot process: Can't locate module snd-via823xx or something like that. anyway when i get into GNOME i get: cannot acsess /dev/dsp.  also my usb zip 100 cannot be acessed.
> > >

> > damm, where the line breaks go?
> >
> sorry, bt web mailer
> > Just to clarify, you compiled 2.4.21   Con's latest?
> yup
> >
> > You did include the VIA agp chipset support right? and got rid of the
> > others..
> i didn't but then i recompiloed with it and know sound works.... to

Interesting that this makes your sound work, as it this is graphics
related...

>  a certian extent.  the stardard gnome sound for events (using esd) work but xmms and totem(with xine backend) both crash when i press play (using any sound backend).

When using esd as the output plugin in xmms, it "crashes"? define
crashes... hang/exits... run it from the command line... see if it gives
any error message.

> > Sounds like you are using ALSA there for the sound. Though I can't
> > immediately see where it would have come from.
> could this be from the initrd image (just guessing) using the graphical lilo configurator from mandrake i had to choose an initrd image and i think they are kernel specific.

Basically yeah... did you create a initrd image?... probably not... and
I doubt very much you need one. So you should not be using any intitrd
image, especially one you didn't create specific to your new kernel, as
the initrd will have kernel modules for some other kernel... yep this is
probably where alsa is coming from (must be in the mandrake kernel) and
what is fscking things up.

--
Andrew