[dundee] Re: Next meeting

Andrew Clayton dundee at lists.lug.org.uk
Thu Jul 31 20:19:01 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 13:47, Martin Habets wrote:
> I'll try to join you monday, it will be my first meeting. Look forward
> meeting you all!
> Will be at the Linux conference in Edinburgh this weekend. Maybe I'll
> meet some of you there, and we can report on monday.
>
> Regarding the crashed RedHat server: how long has it been up?
> I know SUN Solaris needs a reboot once a month. Off course Linux is

I find this a crazy statement.... are you sure you sure you aren't
getting confused with Windows NT.

> not that bad a performer, but once every 6 months or so would be
> appreciated I think :).

Again... crazy. There is no need for any such thing. The only time you
really need to reboot Linux.. is to change hardware/kernel.

Rebooting Linux or any Unix to fix a problem... doesn't fix the problem.
It just hides it for a while.

I know of a number of machines (that I setup) that have been up for
greater than 6 months.... but this is not really anything special. In
Unix... uptimes are regulary measued in years.

> Martin Habets

hmm... perhaps I shouldn't feed the trolls.....

--
Andrew