Dual boot: Was [dundee] (no subject)

Andrew Clayton dundee at lists.lug.org.uk
Mon Jun 16 22:17:01 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 21:46, mordak wrote:
> Installed Redhat on my Hard drive which is set up as 50Gig NTFS(Win2000)
> 6.5GIG ex3 and 2.5gig swap
>
> Redhat work fine booting from a floppy, but will not boot from the hard
> drive, I set lilo up but not in the MBR. also setup mulit boot in the
> windows 2K loader which works then gives the option to boot w2K or redhat,
> but if i pick redhat it just sits there, I assume its looking for the root
> file, but they sem to be were i put them?
>
> lilo has the following lines
>
> boot=/dev/hda2
> map=/boot/map
> install=/boot/message
>

> root=/dev/hda2
>

> so were am i going wrong?

Well, if your using the win2k boot loader then you ain't using LILO.....

Never seen this win2k boot loader thing. But if you want to use LILO,
then you need to correct your /etc/lilo.conf

The main problem with it is you are missing a boot image section or two.

Try with something like this.

prompt
timeout=50
default=linux
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
message=/boot/message
lba32

image=/boot/your/vmlinuz-????
        label=linux
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda2

you will also need a section to boot w2k, something like this perhaps..

other=/dev/hda1
label=w2k

remember to run lilo (lilo -v will let you know if everything is ok)
after you make these changes. It will install into the mbr of /dev/hda,
change vmlinuz, hda2, hda1 as needed. Change lba32 to linear if you are
having troubles with it booting. (This will depend on your bios age and
settings).

--
Andrew