[dundee] Saying 'Hi' and more...

Andrew Clayton dundee at lists.lug.org.uk
Tue Mar 25 18:31:01 2003

On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 17:52, Wm. G. Urquhart wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Well I did say I was saying Hi. Anyway, I've got a problem. (No Steven not
> that another one.) I've got a Dell 2200/300 Dual Pentium with 128Mb RAM,
> I've installed RH Valhalla (7.2) as a Server and well so far so good.
>
> However, after a while (normally when using Konqueror the system does a
> hard reset! I've no idea as to why has anyone had this before? And any
> suggestions as to how to fix it short of a lump hammer!
>
> P.S. If you need (or want) other information about this (or me) simply
> ask, and I'll oblige.

Some obvious things...

Are there any stuff in the logs?

Have you applied all system updates, especially the kernel or even
better rolled your own from the latest source.

I take it this is a pretty reproduceable problem, perhaps you could try
putting the system under stress say a make -j4 on the kernel source see
if they quickens the reset. Perhaps at some point a run of memtest86
would be good, but perhaps rule out other problems first.

Hmm, Also RH 7.2 is pretty old. Perhaps RH 7.3 would be a better
starting point.

--
Andrew Clayton