[dundee] Legalese

Colin Brough Colin.Brough at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Sep 26 10:39:43 BST 2003

> After finding out I don't know as much as I though I did about
> licensing on #tlug I thought it might be nice if next month (ie
> November) we had a talk on GPL/MPL/BSD/OSL/Artistic/etc licenses and
> what they actually mean.
>
> If anyones interested/informed about such things and wants to do it
> let me know. I'm very tempted myself actually so I might try and fight
> you for it ;).

That sounds interesting (no, I'm not offering to fight you for it!).
I think I'd be most interested in a potted summary of the practical
ramifications of the different licenses, either as a developer or as
user.

For instance:

 - nvidia drivers "taint" the kernel because of their license; what
   difference does this make?

 - the accusation that the GPL "creeps", since you can't have some of
   a project under GPL and some under some other license... how does
   the LGPL help?

 - what light does any of this cast on the SCO thing?

Cheers

Colin

Colin Brough                             Colin.Brough at blueyonder.co.uk