[dundee] broadband access

Andrew Clayton andrew at digital-domain.net
Wed Feb 11 17:11:41 GMT 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 16:58, alex mole wrote:
> Hi
>
> We're in Dundee city centre and we have Demon ADSL
>
> FYI, smoothwall (www.smoothwall.org) supports a wide variety of USB ADSL
> modems, more than most distros. So if you're thinking of running that
> [or something like it] then USB shouldn't be a problem [but check for
> compatibility first...].

It's not really compatibility thats the problem, it's USB in general, it
can introduce extra latency into the system and with something like
networking where you want to keep the latency as low as possible, you
shouldn't be thinking about using USB to hook up your modem (ADSL
introduces enough latency as it is).

> Alex

Andrew