[dundee] routing woes

Martin Habets habets_martin at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 16 00:15:00 GMT 2004

>From the modem settings I see you are not using it as a DHCP server.
Unless your one of the computers is running dhcpd, that means you don't have
a DHCP server in your sub-network.

The router may be configured to use DHCP, but I don't know what it will do
if it does not find a server.
But first things first, did you try "http://192.168.1.1/" in your browser?
What does "ping 192.168.1.1" report?

You may want to try to convert to DHCP:
- In the first picture activate the "Use Router as DHCP Server". Note that the help
on the right is more accurate: the modem acts as a DHCP server.
- In the third picture select "automatically obtain IP adress.. with dhcp". Leave the hostname
blank.
That should be it. To test the connection run /etc/init.d/network restart. You should see
something like:

dhclient: DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 192.168.0.138 port 67
dhclient: DHCPACK from 192.168.0.138
dhclient: bound to 192.168.0.1 -- renewal in 3600 seconds.

Maybe some more explanation: the fourth picture shows your modem acting as a router towards
your ISP (i.e. the public network). The modem acting as a DHCP server (or not) is strictly
for your local network (private). The linksys router is also part of your local network.

Martin

 --- Keir Lawson <keir at thelawsons.plus.com> wrote: > a long story...