[dundee] routing woes

Keir Lawson keir at thelawsons.plus.com
Sat Feb 21 19:02:13 GMT 2004

> Perhaps in my previous mail I had got the adsl modem/router and linysys
> wireless router mixed up.
>
> Perhaps a more detailed explanation of how everything is wired (or not)
> up would be useful....
>
> Although the other thing which springs to mind, is that you are using a
> 192.168.0.x network with a netmask of 255.255.255.0 which means that
> 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1 are on different networks.
>
> To have your machine talk to 192.168.1.1 can be accomplished in a number
> of ways. The simplest probably is to give your machines eth0 another IP
> address say 192.168.1.10, this can be accomplished by simple doing a
>
> 	ifconfig eth0:0 192.168.1.10 up
>
> this should let you talk to the linksys on 192.168.1.1
>

> Any more problems and it's probably best to go over interactively on
> irc.

sorry for taking a while to try out your suggestions, ive been busy
(school)

firstly, the reason i am not rying to resolve this on IRC is because i
have the feeling this could take a while (ive being trying to work it
out my self for a month on and off), although id love to be proved
wrong, and also that as i have cancled dialup and only have one ethernet
port i cannot be using the router and the internet untill i get it setup
so i would have to continually disconnect and reconnect to IRC, so i
might as well send email.

right, ive managed to get in to my router, just restarted it and it
worked so now i can get into its configuration. currently i have set its
address to 192.168.0.2 rather than 192.168.1.1 so its on the same
netwrok as me.  i have attached screenshots of parts of the router's
config screens and am wondering how i should set the options to enable
me to access the modem and hence the internet.

sidetracking a it: i managed to get samba working! so now my computers
can share files etc wirelessly! (seems small, means a whole lot to me
after 2 months of nothing)

keir

ps thanks for your help so far

--

"My object in life is to dethrone God and destroy capitalism." - Marx

"Visit my website!!! http://www.thelawsons.plus.com" - Keir Lawson