[dundee] routing woes

Andrew Clayton andrew at digital-domain.net
Sun Feb 22 13:04:06 GMT 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-22 at 09:17, Keir Lawson wrote:
> OK... I think we need a better idea of your current network topology.
> >
> > From what you've said, I think the following is a likely setup.
> >
> > ADSL modem/router connected to the wireless router and the two pc's have
> > wireless network cards.
> >
> > The wireless router should be able to be configured to act like a bridge
> > so will be invisible on the network.
> >
> > Though I wonder why you need the netgear at all? From the screenshot, it
> > would suggest that the wireless router can also handle the adsl.
> >
> almost right, one of my computers is connected to the router wirelessly,
> the other with physical ethernet.  no the router does not include a
> broadband modem, i thought it did when i bought it (it was a "broadband
> router"), however this is not the case.  the netgear modem is connected
> via the "internet" ethernet port as marked on the back of the router
>
> keir

So with this setup... what exactly is currently working?

With networking, I find it best to start in and work your way out, so
first get the pc with the wifi talking to the wireless router and and
then talking to the other pc... then look at getting it all connected up
to the adsl... yes.. you may already have some of this done...

So some checkpoints...

can the pc with the wireless card, ping the wireless router, if no, can
it ping its own wifi interface...

can this pc ping the other pc...

Apply the above to the other pc also....

Get all of this working then we can look at the adsl side of things...
if you already have this working... then excellent... your half way
there.

Andrew