[dundee] Draft of article for Dundee Voluntary Action

Angie angie at nirvana.me.uk
Sun Feb 29 14:53:27 GMT 2004

Colin Brough wrote:

>At our January meeting, when Angie from webtrust talked us through
>opportunities for helping voluntary organisations, I (foolishly?)
>offered to do an article for the DVA newsletter. A draft is here
>(emphasise draft!!).
>
>	http://www.colinbrough.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/TLUGarticle.pdf
>
>Comments welcome.
>
>Cheers

Can't open the article on this machine (recently installed Linux, not
got a pdf reader for Mozilla on it yet). Had a quick read of it on the
windows machine earlier though and it looks good (for it's target
audience) - as was the "what is linux" link.

I think if you said anything like Linux is a Unix like operating it
wouldn't make sence to the majority of the audience (charity
managers/trustees/workers) who probably haven't even heard of Unix. The
comparision to Windows is the best way to go; most charity workers I
come into contact with don't even know what version of Windows they are
using so the dumbing it down approach works well in this case.

I'll have another look over it later and scribble any ammendments/comments.

- Angie