[dundee] Next meeting and IRC

Colin Brough Colin.Brough at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jun 17 14:26:51 BST 2004

> On other topics, maybe we can make a list of stuff people would like to
> learn about, or stuff people could talk about...
>
> Things I would like to learn about:
> - Samba setup.

Indeed - I've done it once, but I'm sure I'm only just scraping the
surface of what is possible.

> - RAID.
> - AFS, XFS, ReserFS. Why? When are they usefull?
> - Security. I know some basics, but this is one area one cannot know
>   enough about.
> - Distributed computing.

I could possibly do something on this one, depending on what you are
interested in - it used to be the area I worked in, but I stopped
being current in about 1996... :-(

As I've mentioned on IRC, something on wine/emulators in general would
be of interest, or in what situations its worth getting those "virtual
machine" things that allow you to host one OS inside another...

> Things I could talk about:
> - Patches. How to make & apply them.
> - Network install (demo of debian or sunos).
> - Basic debugging techniques.
> - Programming internals: compiling, linking.

Cheers

Colin

Colin Brough                             Colin.Brough at blueyonder.co.uk