[dundee] laws relationg to building pc's

Robert McWilliam rmcw at allmail.net
Sun Dec 2 19:33:14 GMT 2007

On 02/12/07 17:23:10, Tim Spencer wrote:
> i was wondering if anybody knows the laws relating to building computers.
> i am know that certain criteria has to be fulfilled so that one can sell
> computers, e.g. metal Cassy but i don't know where its referenced from and
> what other rules apply?
> I want to build a PC with an touch screen embedded in it and i just want to
> know what criteria i have to fulfill to be able to sell it?

First off: I am not a Lawyer and this is not legal advice (on account of
giving legal advice when not a lawyer being illegal...). There are a couple
of things you have to ensure:

- Electromagnetic emissions: there are legal maximums for how much EM
radiation electronics are allowed to radiate in the different frequency
ranges. For the most part with building computers the testing is done by the
board manufacturers and they will provide a guarantee that their devices wont
break the law when used in a certain way (usually that's put in a metal case
but you should probably check - if you are using a custom case you might have
to get the system tested).
 - Health and safety: You are responsible if a computer you've built
electrocutes someone (and possibly if they drop it on their toes and you
didn't have it labelled as heavy and include instructions on how it should be
carried...).
 - WEEE (or however many E's there should be in it): There are
responsibilities for suppliers in ensuring propper disposal at end of life:
http://www.dti.gov.uk/innovation/sustainability/weee/page30269.html

You almost certainly want to get public liability insurance (and possibly
against some of the other varieties of liability, an insurance broker can give
more details (and lots of reasons why you should)).

Robert McWilliam     rmcw at allmail.net    www.ormiret.com

Descartes is sitting in a bar, having a drink. The bartender asks him
if he would like another. "I think not," he replies and vanishes in a
puff of logic.