[dundee] gnome failure

Arron M Finnon afinnon at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 24 16:15:32 GMT 2007

Well thats something i can help you with, well not me directly but
anyway.  There is a few things that Ubuntu does in boot up that beggars
belief, there is a few howto guides that can help.

First a boot profile will more than likely help, you really need to do
this after any major changes in the system and kernel updates.  When you
boot up, add profile at the end of the grub kernel command.  This will
run slow whilst doing that but it will map everything out and it will
get faster afterwards.  Just put it in at boot, don't as i have read
people doing, and editing grub menu.lst and adding profile there.

Also if i remember correctly changing you host list file can also speed
up gnome, so using gedit or Vim (thank you very much, me hughes) input
this command

gksu gedit /etc/hosts

The file should look something like this;

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 computername

you should alter it to look like this

127.0.0.1 localhost computername

save the file and exit

Also you should thing about changing the network interface as well,
during the boot process it tries to connect the last good configuration,
which is fine and well when your a desktop user, however when your a
laptop user and you use wifi not so good. The network manager once your
loaded does a good enough job (i know network manager in gnome is pish,
but hay it's better than it used to be).  This from my understanding
equates to much of the delay in boot up.  I would edit this file

gksu gedit /etc/network/interfaces

and comment everything out except the auto lo and lo stuff.

Also getting your boot process in parell can greatly improve the speed
as well, be very careful doing this not to typo because they shall be
one hell of a problem for you to fix if you type it wrong, and i don't
think santa's bringing you free emergency christmas technical support

 sudo gedit /etc/init.d/rc

find this line

CONCURRENCY=none

and change it to this

CONCURRENCY=shell

save and exit the file.

If you did the boot profile at the beginning you'll need to do it again
now but you should notice one hell of an improvement.  I started with
this guide, it's for feisty but most of it's relevant.  Do a google on
anything your not sure about

http://www.xlntsolution.com/index.php/2007/04/29/feisty-performance-fly-like-a-butterfly/

Hope that helps dude

Arron