[dundee] Re: Open Source day in Glenrothes

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 22 14:45:32 GMT 2007

sounds good to me....

jpilot..is that something to do with microsoft flight s(t)imulator? ;-)

as for 'old folks' we definty wanted the group to be inclusive , so we
arrange that non uni members can partispate, we just did'nt want another
students only kinda affair, I much prefer to let the 'real world' in , and see
what linux and open source is doing 'out there'.

Good news, managed to get a company to save around £2000 , they will
be using a samba server rather than windows 2003 :-). nice huh.

tee hee.

More deatails this weekend!

Cheers,
Lee

Colin Brough <Colin.Brough at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote: > yeah, we got the first meeting of the Abertay Linux Society...

> we've managed to let them let non uni members join, and blag
> resources from them such as rooms and meeting halls, and even beer!
> ;-).
>
> We're just organising the first meet, if you would like to get
> involved in anyway or have any thoughts on what you would like to
> see then drop me a line.
>
> First meeting will just be an introduction, and get new members signed up.
>
> I'll post a date on here this weekend ::-)...
>
> Cheers,
> Lee Hughes

Cool...

Depending on the day, if they'll let "old folk" like me in, it'd be
good to have a meet again.

Things I'm currently interested in, so this is purely selfish (!!):

 - managing a debian based system (Debian, Ubuntu, etc); ie, setting
   up the repositories, when/how do you do 'apt-get update',
   integrating things you are developing (eg I'm a jpilot developer;
   I'll always want to run this from a source compiled version not
   from whatever debian package is current), using backports.org, etc

 - window managers - want a decent twm replacement; currently fiddling
   with vtwm... not bad so far.

Cheers

Colin

Colin Brough                             Colin.Brough at blueyonder.co.uk