[dundee] Old laptop

Nistur Effee nistur at karate.com
Wed Jul 4 19:52:15 BST 2007

Thanks everyone. To start off with, I agree that KDE is probably best, even though in virtually all situations I'm pro-gnome. so Fluxbuntu or whatever it was is out of the picture. I was considering trying to skin things to make it look windows-y to see if she'd notice.
As I said, she'd mainly be using it for the kid's games so she would have a few CDs to install, but it's not like edutainment programs use the latest in DirectX or anything, so I think I should be able to set up WINE to run that normally.
As for a live CD, the only way I'd get her to agree to it is if I'd leave linux on there and make it simple to use, but probably say I'd install 98 in a bit or whatever. She'd never say yes to me showing her a live CD. Oh, and the current install doesn't work. Well, it does, but slowly, and you have to tell it to ignore about 10 system file errors at boot. Fun. So no worries about losing the old system, she wants a format anyway.
Basically, I think I want something that will install to less than 1GB and will be able to auto login. Like I said, customising shouldn't be too bad as I have a while to fiddle before I demonstrate the thing.

Thanks again

Signing out
Nistur                            nistur at karate.com