[dundee] Old laptop

Bruce Stewart bruce_stewart at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jul 4 21:46:24 BST 2007

On Wednesday 04 July 2007 17:26:44 Nistur Effee wrote:
> Hmmm where to start? I have a very... stubborn mother. She has an old Win98
> laptop that she uses for childminding, *shudders* edutainment style games
> and the like however, with it being a cast off from one of the parents it
> has thousands of faults and takes hours to do anything. She has so far been
> totally against the idea of putting Linux on it because "she won't know
> what to do". Going with children everywhere, I'm going to ignore her. I'll
> install Linux and see what she says, then install 98 after if she insists.
> I was just wondering what people would suggest in terms of distro. The HDD
> is only 2GB so Ubuntu/Minty is out of the question and I'd like to think I
> could get a variety of distros into working shape with some fiddling. Does
> anyone have any experience with lightweight (or maybe older versions)
> designed for Windoze migrants? (first one to say Lindows sits in the
> corner)
>
> Thanks in advance
> Signing out
> Nistur                            nistur at karate.com

Is it worthwhile having a look out for a slightly bigger HDD? Most laptops
have easy to replace HDDs, as long as they haven't created some really custom
cartridge for it.
Also it gives an an easy option to switch back.

But it's not only HDD size that determine which distro, what are the rest of
the specs?

Bruce S.