[dundee] Old laptop

Nistur Effee nistur at karate.com
Sat Jul 7 19:58:30 BST 2007

Cool, I forgot to add soon after my last email, I fiddled around a bit more and found the problem. There are, on my copy of Puppy (2.15 Community Edition) there are 2 different graphical mounting apps and the one that appears on the desktop (MUT) seemed to be coded with a particular /dev block. I'll fiddle around with some symlinks, see if I can get it working, it'll probably just be a case of linking /dev/cdrom to /dev/hdc.
I don't know the exact location of the other one, but I found another automounter somewhere in the menu system that did find the cd drive. Puppy also populates /dev with the whole series of dummy block devices and I was being to lazy to search through them manually.

One feature that may be beneficial in certain circumstances, as in mine, or may throw people off, is that it only has one user, the one almighty r00t, and it logs in automatically. Whereas I'm sure it'll be modifiable somewhere the system would seem to be as secure as... well... probably windows '98
However, as I said, in my situation, it's a plus point, as I think it would be if you have any willing converts (or unwilling as in my case) they won't want to fiddle around with su or sudo on their first expedition into the treacherous jungles of Linux. If anyone has someone with old hardware, tell them to try this. LiveCD works great, and the community edition comes with loads of apps. I believe it can also be run from within a windoze partition, but I don't know how well that works, oh, and the liveCD allows you to save any changes you have made to a file when you shutdown.

Hope this helps people

Signing out
Nistur                            nistur at karate.com