[dundee] Supported USB audio interfaces/cards

Martin Habets errandir_news at mph.eclipse.co.uk
Tue Jul 10 22:03:33 BST 2007

Hi,

The sockets on your laptop most likely won't work well.
They usually suffer from interference from other components,
like the power supply.
Digi hardware won't ever be supported on Linux, it is completely
proprietary.

Firwire stuff is still a bit expensive for your budget I guess. But
if you find any hardware check for support here:
http://freebob.sourceforge.net/index.php/Main_Page
For a USB device, make sure it is standards compliant. Also, check
it is supported here:
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/

Personally I'm very happy with the Edirol UA-25 I got 2 years ago.
Only 2 inputs, so I bought a small mixer on eBay to attach all the
other gear.

Good luck,
Martin

On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 12:54:05AM +0000, chris wyllie wrote:
> Hey folks, I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a cheapish(sub £150) USB or
> Firewire audio interface(or soundcard) that has reliable linux support. I'm
> lpanning to start recording some of the stuff I play in a band with my
> laptop however it only has its little headphone/mic sockets and I realised I
> need some othr I/O interface for putting lines/mic's/guitars through so I
> can record them.
>
> My problem is: which one will work relatively easily? I've yet to seek any
> advice from the likes of soundcontrol/rainbow but I don't know if they'd
> know about linux support anyways. Google is proving rather difficult on this
> issue(which is un-nerving) and i can't find a definitive list of devices
> that work reliably.
>
> So, does anyone else do sound recording on a laptop with an external
> interface? Please tell me your secret =)
>
> Thanks and goodnight

Martin