[dundee] ffmpeg and PHP FTP functions

rb urbanwookie at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 14:49:20 BST 2007

On 08/06/07, chris wyllie <cgwyllie at googlemail.com> wrote:

> It's kinda like a youtube clone in that I need to upload large videos,
> create previews of them by converting, watermark them to keep copyright and
> create a thumbnail.
>
> ffmpeg was suggested and evidently it's a widely used option for this kind
> of task. The problem is that the hosting plan which has been bought
> already(out of my control) have pulled the plug on ffmpeg support as it's a
> shared environment and was causing resource issues.
>

> Secondly, the upload of very large video files(a few hundred megs) would
> have to be handled through a web interface and the brief stipulates using
> FTP

ffmpeg is undoubtedly the way to go. I would shop around for hosting that
will support the application rather than try to build the application in an
inadequate environment.

If you're planning to stream megabytes of video then your bandwidth might be
high enough to warrant looking at co-lo anyway.

rb