[dundee] Broadcom wireless chipsets in laptops

William Cameron bc_dundee at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 22 20:07:46 BST 2007

Having just pulled my finger out and reinstalled Ubuntu on my laptop, I now find myself in a broadcom dilema again.  Arron and I, ok mainly Arron, figured out why I was having issued on the uadwifi with wpa_supplicant and ndis.. and reverted me back to broadcom drivers, only to find there were open source one available, and then it somehow worked.. well back to the drawing board for me, as I try to remember exactly what was did.. as just now i'm back to ethernet cable to my router.oh, on another note, I crazily joined the kernel mailing list, i've been signed up for about an hour so far and my inbox is going mental...  finally figured out how to set up a redirect to dump the mail into a sub folder, the from line is the name of teh person sending it, not the kernel mailing list its forwarded thru, like the tay-lug!! sorry, been having a blond moment all week, see you in glasgow for teh eben moglen talk! or is it edinburgh.. anyway..Cheers,William> Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 23:28:08 +0100> From: gordon at zubenel.freeserve.co.uk> To: dundee at mailman.lug.org.uk> CC: > Subject: [dundee] Broadcom wireless chipsets in laptops> > Hi All,> > Some people have been getting  problems with Broadcom chipsets in their > wireless cards for their laptops. It should be no problem now with > modern distros,  the Linux kernel has drivers  for the  Broadcom  > chipset since  kernel 2.6.17. The main thing is to install the broadcom > firmware which has been reversed engineered. The difference in drivers > and firmware  is that firmware  is the software that allows the hardware > to operate and drivers is the  software  that allows the operating > system to control it, similar to digital TV working in Linux. A good > explanation is given here:> > http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/293> > Most Linux distributions have a version of bcm43xx-fwcutter, a package > that has the Broadcom chipsets firmware , if they don't you can download > from here:> > http://developer.berlios.de/project/showfiles.php?group_id=4547> > All it does is to put all the Broadcom chipsets firmware into > /lib/firmware and you should be up and running.> > Gordon> > > > _______________________________________________> dundee GNU/Linux Users Group mailing list> dundee at lists.lug.org.uk  http://dundee.lug.org.uk> https://mailman.lug.org.uk/mailman/listinfo/dundee> Chat on IRC, #tlug on dundee.lug.org.uk