[dundee] new member

Nistur Effee nistur at karate.com
Sat Mar 31 19:20:04 BST 2007

Ok, two more things... first of all I just noticed Arron uses hotmail... *tuts*
secondly...

Like I said, I will do something if people want, I am by no means an expert at Cedega, or anything Linux related for that matter really. But if people think it will help then I suppose I could. However I think it would be beneficial for someone to have a system with a problem to bring it in as the same problem is unlikely to be fixed in exactly the same way on two computers. Obviously easiest would be a laptop. Also, I am lead to believe WoW works quite happily off wine on it's own, without using WineX/Cedega. I can't say I've tried, nor am likely to as, being the poor student I am, can't be bothered to pay monthly fees.
Oh, and all information for installing most games under cedega is linked to in their games database.

Ok, so I lied, there is a third thing, and probably a fourth thing knowing me. Whereas I do fully support these meetings I do think they are currently without much direction. I know there's not an awful lot to discuss but I think we should have some form of game plan. The list of things that people had problems with from the first week. Would it be possible to have more, practical sessions on that? Because like I said about Cedega, it's unlikely that any two issues are identical and it would make it a lot more worthwhile for people to see a problem being fixed rather than just a presentation about how you might go about fixing it. I'm not suggesting every meeting everyone lugs their PCs over (no pun intended, honest) but laptop would be easier, and one computer I believe would be possible to plug into the projector... *shrug* that's not up to me to decide, just an idea.

Lastly (hopefully)
Kernel compiles aren't that bad any more (nor have been since before I started) everything is menu driven, or even if you take the cheat's way out, X based (make xconfig for Qt based systems make gconfig for gtk+ based systems) but all you need is a little bit of time, and a fairly good idea as to what hardware you're running "under the hood" as Arron put it. then just go through all of the sections removing anything that you definately don't need, adding things you do and making modular what you want. Remember, unless you've done thins a few times, go through the list a few times, quite often a selection will make others accessible that you couldn't see earlier. Also unless you know exactly what you want, don't clean the source directory as soon as you've copied the kernel image. You're almost sure to have left something out. Oh, finally. Don't use modules. Well, do use them because it makes your kernel smaller and quicker but start off with a totally un-modular install as it *may* make problems... gah, maybe I could do a talk on Kernel compilation :p

Finally (ANOTHER THING???)
I believe someone wanted an install-fest or something. I know for a fact I can install Linux From Scratch within a day (no gui though) and I thought that it might be a good,fun thing. There's plenty of documentation and if organised it's possible to do a race over the weekend or something (not straight, I don't expect anyone other than me runs on 100% caffeine). Again, not up to me, just another idea.

I have a 100 spindle of CD-Rs I'm not using, I'll burn  off some distros, as well as the Linux From Scratch liveCD (contains all needed packages) if anyone wants it. I'm not overly keen on force feeding Ubuntu to new peoples... *wink* just joking

Anyway
Signing off