[dundee] Digital TV in Linux

Paul Lancaster paul_lancaster at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue May 15 20:58:34 BST 2007

Bruce Stewart wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 May 2007 09:35, Andrew Clayton wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 14 May 2007 21:57:14 +0100, James Le Cuirot wrote:

>>> I'm not an expert but I gather there are different kinds of DVB
>>> cards/boxes. I bought a USB-based DVB-T (terrestrial) box off eBay a
>>> while back. It probably would have worked but I then discovered that
>>> you can't get Freeview here. Bummer.
>>>
> If you have a DVB-T card, you just plug in RF output from your aerial, as
> if you were plugging into a TV or a VCR.
> Currently you can only capture one channel at a time per tuner, so if you
> need to capture multiple channels at a time (ie the one of the reasons why
> you need a PVR) you need multiple tuners. There is supposedly a project to
> allow the capture of multiple channels off a mux at the same time.
> As I understand it the Nova-T 500 is supported in the 2.6.20 kernel.
>

>> I'm seeing where my confusion was stemming from. For some reason I was
>> thinking the Hauppauge PVR 150/250/etc are DVB cards..
>>
>> I now see they do a DVB-S and a DVB-T card. WinTV-NOVA series.
>>

> The PVR x50s do a analogue video to MPEG2 steam capture/conversion, great
> if you have a low powered PC.
> You can use this to capture from an existing Cable/Satellite/DVB-T STB, to
> allow capture of premium content, but you really need to combine it with
> an "IR-Blaster" to send signals to the STB to change channels.

You can have a DVB-T/C/S card plus a analogue card in the same m/c.
You are best looking for a card that has hardware encoding of analogue
signals,
  1 less load on the cpu,
  2 you dont have to rely on getting a compatible software encoder.
Some of the old video editing cards will work as well, which can be
picked up quite cheaply.

>> So if I got a DVB-T card I could get Freeview on that without needing a
>> Freeview box?
>>

> Yes, you get are able to get the "Freeview" streams, without a separate
> STB, by using a WinTV Nova or similar.
>

>> Still looking over the Linux DVB wiki:
>> http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
>>

>>> If you have a satellite dish then I think you can just get a DVB-S
>>> (satellite) card/box and plug that right in. I'm not very familiar
>>> with satellite but I'm guessing you can't use a dish with more than
>>> one piece of equipment at a time?
>>>
>> Heh, I'm not overly familiar with it myself, it may be possible to get
>> a splitter of some sort?.
>>

> If you need to get more than one satellite tuner, you need to have a dual
> or higher multiple LNB, also if you need to pick up multiple satellites.

Ebay have a good selection of dual and quad lnb for between £10 & £20. (
1 lnb required per channel )
Also depending on which satellite your pointing at youll need to decode
the stream (Sky)
>>> *still on the bog standard 5 channels for now*
>>> James
>>>
>> Andrew

>> Chat on IRC, #tlug on dundee.lug.org.uk
>>

> BTW there was a new KnoppMyth  ( http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html )
> release at the weekend (R5F1), the changelog hasn't been updated yet.
>
> Bruce S.

Right im off to check mysettopbox

Paul