[dundee] Author of Linux Patent Study Says Ballmer Got It Wrong

Arron Finnon arron.finnon at hotmail.co.uk
Fri May 18 16:10:01 BST 2007

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear

Back again with 235 dispute, and what an interesting article this is and
you'd be left thinking Ballmer has been taking spin advice from Blair - The
short of the story is the author of the study says that Ballmer is taking a
figure of potential patent violations and banding it about is though there
actual violations.  In essence he goes on to say that GNU/Linux systems are
no more likely to breaking patents than any other OS.

He makes another intresting point that then lends it self to another thing
that M$ is being unclear about - "Patents don't care how the infringing
article is distributed, be it under an open-source license, a proprietary
license or not at all. Therefore, if a patent infringes on Linux, it
probably also infringes on Unix, Windows, etc.,"
(http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1729908,00.asp).

So then the other gist i seem to get here is that M$ are saying that Linux
infringes their intellectual property and implying generally that the 235
apparent violations are owned by M$, but by reading the above their seems to
be nothing to prove that even if there was a patent dispute that it would
have anything to do M$ anyway.  No one has said so far who owns these
patent, but Ballmer is acting as though their his patents.

I also came across this article in my general web browsing (i tell thee,
Stumble is a very dangerous add-on for Firefox) -
http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?src=rss&id=1519 -

As i looking into my crystal ball, i see another ludicrous statement in the
future and i just hope it's not me

Catch you guys later

Arr0n