[dundee] Cron - scared yet?

Nistur Effee nistur at karate.com
Wed May 23 21:08:30 BST 2007

Oops, I believe I just sent a blank email. I should really sleep sometime soon.
Apologies everyone
Anyway, I was wondering, what is everyone's opinion on Cron? I have always considered automating certain parts of my system, sit down, read a guide and then get distracted.
Is it really as scary as it looks? Or is it as straight forward as you would hope?
Secondly, I was wondering something, I have a NAS enclosure now, but I'm not going to assume that anyone else on the network is going to scan it. I therefore set up ClamAV but it's going to be a pain in the neck to do it manually all the time. All I was wondering was whether anyone knew, assuming I set up crond to do something daily, say at 4AM... if my laptop was off at that point, would it do it next time it was booted?

I'm going to have to brush up on my scripting to get this to work methinks. I see a lot of... fiddling approaching.

Thanks in advance

Signing out
Nistur                            nistur at karate.com