[dundee] Cron - scared yet?

Bruce Stewart bruce_stewart at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu May 24 00:18:18 BST 2007

On Wednesday 23 May 2007 21:08, Nistur Effee wrote:
> Oops, I believe I just sent a blank email. I should really sleep
> sometime soon. Apologies everyone
> Anyway, I was wondering, what is everyone's opinion on Cron? I have
> always considered automating certain parts of my system, sit down, read
> a guide and then get distracted. Is it really as scary as it looks? Or
> is it as straight forward as you would hope?

If it has already been set up, I believe all you need to do is place the
appropriate script in the appropriate /etc/cron.* directory. But of course
if you need to execute at a different rate, you would need to add an entry
to the appropriate /etc/*crontab.

I believe anacron handles this, ( http://anacron.sourceforge.net/ )

> I'm going to have to brush up on my scripting to get this to work
> methinks. I see a lot of... fiddling approaching.
>
> Thanks in advance

> Signing out
> Nistur                            nistur at karate.com

Bruce S.