[dundee] dd revisited

James Young j at jayoung.co.uk
Mon Oct 1 22:58:21 BST 2007

I'm pretty sure you've already hit the nail on the head.  You're trying
to write your data to a file system with an inherent 4GB per file
limit.   I'm afraid I don't know if dd would work like you might want it
too.  You're looking for concatination and I think the below is the best
example of this;

dd if=/dev/hdb | gzip >/mnt/hda1/osx_drive_backup.img.gz

Personally,  I'd create a 10GB+ ufs partition from a live distro using
'parted'.  Some distros call it UFS Darwin because there's been
revisions to UFS over the years.  It's more flexible and OSX can write
to it.

Good luck. :-)