[dundee] dd revisited

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 1 23:01:43 BST 2007

you could try gzipping it, depending on what the parition contains, you may be able to get the whole thing to fit
in 4gb!

 dd if=/dev/hda | gzip > /mnt/hdb1/system_drive_backup.img.gz

I think bzip will give better compression , but it's slower

worth giving it a try!

this may also help

dd if=/dev/hda1 | gzip -c | split -b 2000m - /mnt/hdc1/backup.img.gz.

read this page it's good

http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Dd

Nistur <nistur at googlemail.com> wrote: Hi, what I meant was that the backup file I was making was being stored
on a FAT32 USB HDD, however the MacOSX partition itself is 10GB so just
using dd on it's own will complain about lack of disk space when the
backup hits 4GB, losing 6GB of the image.