[dundee] dd revisited

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 3 05:15:16 BST 2007

interesting

I'm not too familiar with hpfs filesystems, but you should
be able to do that..

Why do you have to split it 2GB chunks?

can't you just dd the whole thing?

you should however be able to mount hpfs with a live cd,
however you may need to modprobe it, as it may not
be compiled it.

you can check what filesystem you system supports with

cat /proc/filesystems

you should have hpfs there.

 cat /proc/filesystems | grep hfs

 cat /proc/filesystems | grep hpfs

modprobe hpfs
modprobe hfs (maybe)

if you get my drift.

you should then be able to mount it, and tar the actually files
of onto the network! easy!

this may give you some clues, don't get confuse with blocks(512/1024 etc etc) and byte...

dd is a block orientated tool!

http://www.cpqlinux.com/dd-resize.html

Nistur <nistur at googlemail.com> wrote: Ok, I still haven't got quite to the bottom of this dd thing, and now I
have a new problem. I installed OSX to a friend's laptop, when we tried
getting audio to work and rebooted, the thing froze on the apple logo.
We reinstalled and I said I'd make a backup to her external storage,
forgetting that it would be FAT32 and her partition size is 10GB.
Basically, I've looked into using search and count to create 2GB chunks
which then (hopefully) I could put back together if her system goes bust
again.
I got confused though. I managed to get the first one with:
dd count=4194304 if=/dev/sda3 of=/mnt/usb/OSXBackup.1
When I tried:
dd search=4194305 count=4194304 if=/dev/sda3 of=/mnt/usb/OSXBackup.2
it started off the filesize as 2GB. I didn't check to see whether FAT32
would make later volumes, that would start at 4GB for example. I just
thought I should check before I make a mistake. My main concern is that
I overwrite the first part of the next partition when I dd it back when
the inevitable happens and appleazalia messes up again. I also don't
know how easy it would be to tar everything up as I haven't yet found a
liveCD that can access a hfs partition :(

Thanks in advance and I'll continue googling
Nistur

Chat on IRC, #tlug on dundee.lug.org.uk