[dundee] Virtualisation, any wise words?

James Young j at jayoung.co.uk
Wed Oct 3 22:47:14 BST 2007

Hiya Chris,

You can't do anything about the processor but Another 1GB of RAM in the
laptop isn't a bad way to start.  Use part of the external drive you're
going to get to host the VMs.  That's actually the key - the disk i/o;
I've found is the biggest problem.  The spindle speed in the laptops are
usually either 5400  or worse still....4200rpm which for virtualisation
is yuck.

Andrew just posted up.  Yep eSATA is good; ideally dumping a pcmcia
firewire/ esata in there will significantly improve performance.  I'd
use www.span.com as I've used these guys in the past and what they do
know their disks.  If you must stick with USB2 go for a disk with the
most cache you can.  A nice enclosure and a seagate 7200.11 with 32mb
cache.  Actually, eSata is so good that even your FCAL drives can't look
at maxing the bus out.   I'm thinking esata is about hybrid drives.

 Looking further ahead the next generation disks are probably going to
either have big caches or just be completely solid state anyway.  Solid
state is an option but it's a performance option at the moment with
samsung doing 64GB.   So, we're all still a couple of buying cycles away
from affordable solidstate.

So, on balance the seagate or a similar perpendicular drive with a £40
enclosure with fw400&USB will do the job.