[dundee] Virtualisation, any wise words?

gordon dunlop gordon at zubenel.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Oct 3 22:56:36 BST 2007

Hi Chris,
The best thing to use is VMWare server or Virtualbox, the performance is
similar, the October 2007 Linux magazine gave them 2nd equal. The
Virtualbox has got excellent disk management so if you want to have your
virtual machine directory and file on a USB, perhaps Virtualbox is
better. As far as your computer specs goes there is no problem, I have
put Virtualbox machines on 1Ghz machines with 500MB memory. Your Windoze
machine will work no problem in Linux, installing the O.S. with 1GB
memory  - there is no problem. Remember to give the Windoze machine
between 300 & 500MB memory (for best performance) with graphics of at
least 32MB of memory. The howto below:

http://www.debianadmin.com/create-virtual-machines-using-virtualbox-in-debian.html

Whilst Daniel will say Qemu is good, we are only trying to get you up
and running with the minimum  amount of pain. The Nat internet feature
should make it okay to run the Internet in Windoze out of the box.
Abertay is also doing VB.NET (bunch of crap), I had to do a Visual Basic
6 module there , MONO is the Linux equivalent (Novell), it can run
Visual Basic and I think it can also do VB.NET (do not quote me, perhaps
some other individual can enlighten you here). You will be O.K.

Gordon