[dundee] Garbled SMB filenames

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 4 14:04:00 BST 2007

if you ask me both are ropey, and nfs aint much better! hhahaha

James Le Cuirot <chewi at aura-online.co.uk> wrote: On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 12:22:01 +0100 (BST)
Lee Hughes  wrote:

> hmmmm. interesting..
>
> things to try
>
> -t cifs (may just be an alias!)
>
> put samba into debug mode, it may reveal clues.
>
> Check firmware on nas? is it upto date? non buggy
>
> try connect a winblows client? does it do the same?
>
> this is interesting because most nas'es use Linux anyhow,
> and just run samba too!
>
> Unless your nas is evil! very evil, what is it?

cifs isn't an alias. It's the newer protocol used by Windows and Samba.
You shouldn't use smbfs anymore unless you have to. And that may
actually be the problem here, unless the NAS drive is really old, it
probably prefers cifs. Give it a try.

James

Chat on IRC, #tlug on dundee.lug.org.uk