[dundee] Garbled SMB filenames

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 4 18:14:45 BST 2007

hmm, doing some googling on sumvision...errgghh...

nasty..

in a normal situation you would upgrade the firmware and see how that did, but I doubt if you'll be able to do this.

It may be worth trying a live disc like knoppix or something and see if you get the same results!!!!

weird...

it's hard to diag such a fault with samba, that's why I keep away from it!

Nistur <nistur at googlemail.com> wrote: Woo, smbclient output:
[nistur at minas-morgul ~]$ smbclient -N //storage/music
Domain=[⏽€] OS=[] Server=[￿]
smb: \>

and I'm having issues getting verbose output from mount.smbfs and cifs
tells me little more, I have a few password protected directories on the
NAS so I thought I'd try one where it wasn't connecting as guest. Same
problem.
I also found out that directories that really don't exist get mount
error 5 = Input/output error whereas ones that should exist get mount
error 20 = Not a directory

As for changing settings on the NAS, there's very little I can do there.
There are very very VERY few options. I guess that serves me right for
getting a cheap NAS.
I've also tried ssh/telnet but the NAS doesn't respond

Thanks all