[dundee] OpenBIOS/LinuxBIOS

gordon dunlop gordon at zubenel.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Oct 12 10:43:39 BST 2007

I won't be joining the mailing list as my inbox already gets clogged up
on a daily basis. I have a theory, Phillip, in why the Linuxbios uses a
different configuration from the proprietary motherboard bios. I think
that the Linuxbios uses the processor as its northbridge and the
motherboard northbridge chipset as the Linuxbios southbridge. The
motherboard southbridge is not required as the Linux kernel has the Sata
and Pata drivers within it (sound's logical).

As I am an Asus fan boy here is an article about an Asus motherboard
with embedded Linux:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=869&num=1
<http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=869&num=1>

The benefit of this technology for the average user is when an operating
system will not boot up from the hard drive, which will happen at some
point to most people, especially windoze users. They can still access
the Internet and do other things until their system is repaired rather
than being left with a crippled machine, it would be good to see an
embedded Puppy Linux which runs out of Ram being installed. I can see
another benefit, in that as broadband speeds are going to increase over
the next couple of years (If B.T. and the other ISP's get their fingers
out) and this motherboard technology is developed more and more, it will
be feasible for computer manufacturers and resellers to provide O.S.
free computers for all, where a user can download their preferred choice
of operating system directly on to a local disk thereby leveling the
operating system playing field.

Gordon