[dundee] Fedora Core 3 htree error

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Oct 13 00:54:24 BST 2007

yeah, having looked at your post in more detail..

why are you using lsattr? you not looking at device nodes are you.

ls -la with show permissions..

unless you have some extended ACL filesystem?

what is this, a server? format it, install windows. ;-)

Alan S Frost <alan at biziserve.co.uk> wrote: Hi,

I have been watching the list, just for interest sake, for some while
now and and would like a little assistance from your collective minds.

I am running a Fedora core 3 Linux server for numerous client websites.
Everything, apart from a proliferation of SPAM which is on the increase,
was working OK until yesterday when I hit a problem  trying to save an
updated /etc/hosts.deny file when it said the file was read-only. The
file attributes all indicated no issue.

Output from "lsattr /" shows the I flag is set on the entire /etc directory;

------------- /misc
lsattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device While reading flags on /proc
------------- /media
------------- /lib
----------I-- /sbin
----------I-- /etc
------------- /lost+found
------------- /mnt
------------- /srv
------------- /tmp
------------- /root
------------- /opt
------------- /boot
lsattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device While reading flags on /sys
------------- /home
------------- /var
------------- /sw
------------- /aquota.group
------------- /selinux
------------- /aquota.user
lsattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device While reading flags on /dev

Have you ever experienced this problem? How is it caused and how can I
reset it please?

regards,

Alan Frost

Biziserve Internet Solutions