[dundee] Fedora Core 3 htree error

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Oct 13 01:38:06 BST 2007

overkill?  lets see.

iptables..

better performance..

better logging

implement at kernel , not in a libwrap.a

can control ICMP traffic, and other weirdo packets.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/tcpwrappers.html

quote.
''The added functionality of TCP Wrappers should not be considered a replacement for a good firewall. TCP Wrappers can be used in conjunction with a firewall or other security enhancements though and it can serve nicely as an extra layer of protection for the system.'

if you want to argue with the freebsd guys, be my guest.

;-)

Andrew Clayton <andrew at digital-domain.net> wrote: On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 00:48:00 +0100 (BST), Lee Hughes wrote:

> hmm, lsattr huh! looks like it's doing ioctl's?!!
>
> what wrong with ls -l these days?

They show different things.

> you know r-x-rwx--x sort of format?
>
> by the looks of your post your in /proc when
> your running it? that's a bad idea.
>
> host.deny.. tcp wrapper, it's so old, I don't think
> it's even supported anymore..

On the contrary it's still very much in use.

> use iptables, it's for real men/women/aliens.

iptables is generally overkill for an end point machine. Remember this
not windows!

> Laters,
> Lee

Andrew