[dundee] gooey boy gets bashed

Digit (SG) digit.siljrath at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 14 19:42:15 BST 2007

i've yet to install it to look around, but i've downloaded both the cd
(mini) and full dvd versions of sabayon linux which is based on gentoo.  i
feel i've learned alot just from looking around on their website.  they
provide more usefull tips and commands to get us noobs started than i've
seen with any other.  i just hope they keep up this educational practice
once inside the os (since i'll be installing it on a machine that is not
connected to the net).  I thought Slackware was the king of educators, but
the gentoo (sabayon at least) route seems to be kind enough to give you
rubber arm bands and instead of throwing you in the deap end n telling you
everything from the molecular composition of water to philosophical quips,
they point to where it is and tell you how to swim in it.

so... is gentoo (and gentoo based distros) the way to go for a comand line
learning friendly environment?

level of noobishness:
the only command i remember at this moment is "su"
i dont even remember how to see the contents of a directory!  bring back
dir/p!  lol.  was it -r or something?   lol.

* runs and hides from the hardcore geeks n hackers who can speak
command-line fluently before they start throwing things *

:D

On 14/10/2007, Paul Lancaster <paul_lancaster at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> For all those newbies - myself included,
> if your feeling comfortable installing the latest distros with there
> lovely graphical interfaces, and are ready to try 4 more. Then I whole
> heartily recommend trying Gentoo.
> Ive spent a good deal of free time (in between coats of paint - were
> decorating - again) working thru an gentoo install and can actually say
> i'm enjoying it. and look at all the money i'm saving on batteries for
> the mouse. Still cant type worth a ##### but i'm learning so much, and
> for once with a goal at the end of it.
>
> Paul

The Universe speaks in many languages, but only one voice. The language is
not Narn, or Human, or Centauri, or Gaim or Minbari. It speaks in the
language of hope; It speaks in the language of trust; It speaks in the
language of strength, and the language of compassion. It is the language of
the heart and the language of the soul. But always, it is the same voice. It
is the voice of our ancestors, speaking through us, And the voice of our
inheritors, waiting to be born. It is the small, still voice that says: We
are one. No matter the blood; skin; world; star; We are one. No matter the
pain; darkness; loss; fear; We are one. Here, gathered together in common
cause. we agree to recognise this singular truth, and this singular rule:
That we must be kind to one another, because each voice enriches us and
ennobles us, and each voice lost diminishes us. We are the voice of the
Universe, the soul of creation, the fire that will light the way to a better
future. We are one.