[dundee] LFS

Digit (SG) digit.siljrath at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 15 00:22:36 BST 2007

i like babbling

On 15/10/2007, Nistur <nistur at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I think this question is mainly aimed at Arron, but also, as usual, feel
> free to comment and put your word in, as such I will address it to the list.
>
> Arron suggested that there be, sort of alongside the install-fest I think,
> an LFS building group. Whereas he thinks that it should be done in several
> sessions I believe that what would be better to do is something like two
> weekend sessions, however far apart people want to give themselves time. The
> reason behind this is that the hardest parts for LFS are the start, building
> the toolchain and then finishing, installing the kernel. Stuff inbetween
> just takes time and is mainly ./configure && make && make install then read
> the package info while it's busy. With the 2 weekends, if we get a few newer
> users, or at least people who haven't tried LFS before, and a couple of...
> more "mature" users (not agewise before people get offended) to build
> alongside if they want, but mainly just to help iron out problems. I can put
> myself forward if I'm wanted in this position as I've built LFS a few times
> (many times if you include failed attempts)
>
> I think this would be a great thing for the society to do at least, if not
> the LUG as well. Firstly it will teach new users some more of the command
> line. Whereas I don't think we have anyone who is actually scared of it,
> knowing the system in depth isn't needed for all linux users, just
> comfortable enough with it to be able to follow some of the guides online,
> for example. Also if this is a success then it could be continued to adding
> portions of BLFS and looking at some of the other projects. Eventually, if
> it all comes together it may be possible to create a liveCD/installer for
> Abertay Students with things like OOo and wpa_supplicant. I realise this
> would be much easier, taking say an ubuntu CD, especially for support,
> however having a society that knows the distro inside out has got to be
> worth something in that arguement, right?
>
> I believe that's all for my babbling
> Nistur

The Universe speaks in many languages, but only one voice. The language is
not Narn, or Human, or Centauri, or Gaim or Minbari. It speaks in the
language of hope; It speaks in the language of trust; It speaks in the
language of strength, and the language of compassion. It is the language of
the heart and the language of the soul. But always, it is the same voice. It
is the voice of our ancestors, speaking through us, And the voice of our
inheritors, waiting to be born. It is the small, still voice that says: We
are one. No matter the blood; skin; world; star; We are one. No matter the
pain; darkness; loss; fear; We are one. Here, gathered together in common
cause. we agree to recognise this singular truth, and this singular rule:
That we must be kind to one another, because each voice enriches us and
ennobles us, and each voice lost diminishes us. We are the voice of the
Universe, the soul of creation, the fire that will light the way to a better
future. We are one.