[dundee] gooey boy gets bashed

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 15 01:18:51 BST 2007

!2GB... you have to compile from source..

source = bigger then binary! :-)

Sabyon is to Gentoo

what Ubuntu is Debian...

a bit more friendly, and organised! ;-)

debian users feel free to send hate mail.

I love it, you can build in from source!

downside, that you will age 6 years in the process!

"Digit (SG)" <digit.siljrath at googlemail.com> wrote:  What do you think of this Distro?   Was it straightforward for you?

only on first impressions at the mo.  they've got their act together it seems.  some lovely options that made me smile and go all giddy with excitement, dancing feet and silly squeeling noises too!  thats always sure to be a big possitive sign. :D  i've only booted it once so far of the livedvd (got clicky finggered on one of the game options), and wasnt too impressed with the default graphic settings...  screen resolution of 640x480 and desktop desolution some many times larger than that.  was a little more unfamiliar with how to change them to my liking (ahh, good ol 1600x1200).  if i were fresh out of windowsgatesamaton mode, i'd probably feel a little lost in noob hell.

 Do you like it?

lots of candy.  lots of nice features and advancements brought together.  i'd say so [likes it], so far.

gonna install it in a mo... as long as one of my partitions i have set aside for such use is big enough.
12GB!  !!?!?!!
that screams to be the footprint of some mega glutton bloatage.

if any of you have yet to venture into the joys of multiboot:
 http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=147959

very handy if you only have one machine to play about on.  the info in that thread might just be useful too even if you've already ventured beyond single operating systems.

after installing mcn toronto and it mussin up my neat boot file... i'm a little more scared to go clicking on that install to hard drive icon....  think it's safe enough?

couldnt make much more mess anyways surely.  :D

On 14/10/2007, gordon dunlop <gordon at zubenel.freeserve.co.uk> wrote: I installed Sabayon a couple of weeks ago , I was talking about it to
Phillip and Hazel at the Abertay Linux Society. Sabayon are trying to
put all the best things from other distros into one package, e.g. the
harddrake disk manager (Mandriva), the Anaconda software installer
(Fedora), the KDE OpenSuSE menu & Portage package manager (Gentoo). It
did require a minimum of 12GB space for installing. What do you think of
 this Distro? Do you like it? Was it straightforward for you? The only
problem that I had was when updating using emerge is that it could only
be done a few packages at a time because there were 2 packages (This was
found after all the updating) that had dependency errors that affected
the update process, other than that it was okay. I did like the terminal
output of the updating and compiling process as it showed where the
package was being installed to (personal opinion only), this
distribution is starting to get more and more popular.

Gordon

Digit (SG) wrote:
> i've yet to install it to look around, but i've downloaded both the cd
> (mini) and full dvd versions of sabayon linux which is based on
> gentoo.  i feel i've learned alot just from looking around on their
> website.  they provide more usefull tips and commands to get us noobs
> started than i've seen with any other.  i just hope they keep up this
> educational practice once inside the os (since i'll be installing it
> on a machine that is not connected to the net).  I thought Slackware
> was the king of educators, but the gentoo (sabayon at least) route
> seems to be kind enough to give you rubber arm bands and instead of
> throwing you in the deap end n telling you everything from the
> molecular composition of water to philosophical quips, they point to
> where it is and tell you how to swim in it.

Chat on IRC, #tlug on dundee.lug.org.uk

--
The Universe speaks in many languages, but only one voice. The language is not Narn, or Human, or Centauri, or Gaim or Minbari. It speaks in the language of hope; It speaks in the language of trust; It speaks in the language of strength, and the language of compassion. It is the language of the heart and the language of the soul. But always, it is the same voice. It is the voice of our ancestors, speaking through us, And the voice of our inheritors, waiting to be born. It is the small, still voice that says: We are one. No matter the blood; skin; world; star; We are one. No matter the pain; darkness; loss; fear; We are one. Here, gathered together in common cause. we agree to recognise this singular truth, and this singular rule: That we must be kind to one another, because each voice enriches us and ennobles us, and each voice lost diminishes us. We are the voice of the Universe, the soul of creation, the fire that will light the way to a better future. We are one.
Chat on IRC, #tlug on dundee.lug.org.uk