[dundee] Re: dundee Digest, Vol 118, Issue 1

Nistur nistur at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 15 16:31:34 BST 2007

I agree that new users would find it awkward to install etc, however that
wasn't the plan. It was to have sessions for users who were willing and
interested to build LFS, and then possibly make an install CD from that for
new users afterwards. Building a Abertay distro basically that would install
with as little fuss as possible and work with settings and the like already
configured. Like I said, building it this way would lose the support a
larger distro has but gains a local group of people who know it inside out.
I state again, the end user of said distro would, preferably, need to know
no more than any other distro. And I never said I didn't like  Gentoo,
infact, I think I rate it higher than most distros going, however I do think
that the gain you would get from it is not worth the compile time and like I
said, downloading the stage tarball means you don't build it from scratch as
Gentoo users would have you believe, unless it's stage 1, which I believe
they stopped documentation of a long time ago.
One final point, you say LFS sucks as both a user and server distro. It is
meant primarily as neither, it's meant to learn how the linux operating
system works in MUCH more depth than even a Gentoo install. Secondly, with
the install being so well documented and you then (hopefully) knowing the
system that well that it is entirely flexible so it would be possible to
make it exactly to the specifications that you want, hence making it the
ultimate distro, if you put a little time in.
I will finish here, I'm sorry Lee for continuing this mutated thread and I
think we should all return to our happy places now and continue real threads
:P

Nistur