[dundee] Website

David Thornton Snr davidthorntonsnr at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 19 21:41:37 BST 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: Arron M Finnon <afinnon at googlemail.com>
To: dundee <dundee at mailman.lug.org.uk>
Sent: Friday, 19 October, 2007 7:17:59 PM
Subject: [dundee] Website

Hi Simon,

It's in that spirit that we have been asking for people to write
 content
for both sites for over two months and for the most part people have
done a fantastic job.

The tayLUG took a big dip awhile ago and we seem to be on the up again,
my point being that when we first started the society, we tried make
contact (well in fairness Lee Hughes did) with tayLUG admin with no
 joy,
now we have a situation where we have an admin that most Abertay and
TayLUG members either know in person or have spoken to online.

I think your web site idea is a good one, however i urge that any
content you publish be released under a creative commons license so
 that
all the web sites connected with this site, and with the Linux society
site and the local Linux community can benefit.

We have some work that has been agreed to be released under creative
commons so you would be able to use that to get you off the ground,
however my main worry is that both the tayLUG members and Linux society
members have already agreed to work in tandem in promoting linux to the
wider community and to work in a spirit of interplay between us.  With
an agreement to share resources like space and events, and meetings,
which has worked well for the past 6ish months.

Gordon has mentioned that 25% of the new members of tayLUG are also
Linux Society members, as well as our faithful TLUG quota which
represents at least 25% if not more, and the fact that our web master
for thelinuxsociety.org.uk is a TLUG member and not a student at
 abertay
shows of our deep want to make this partnership work.  I think that
 this
co-operation has benefited the society and the TLUG massively and the
proof being in the mass activity we now take for granted on this list.

In closing my point being, that gordon probably for the moment is one
 of
the best equipped with his natural understanding of the very active and
vibrant local community to organise TLUG with everyone that wants to
 get
involved, and having a figure that everyone can physically approach is
in my mind at least a good thing.  Gordon and Linux Society worked
incredible hard during the freshers fair intake, and this work has
resulted in more people joining the list, which is hopped in essence
will have people be more active in the local scene, which i think we
 can
all agree is a great thing.

Let me know if there is anything i can do to help you in the pursuit of
your new project and i would be more than happy to send you any stuff
that i write if your looking for contributors, it maybe worth you
contacting Kris Findlay (AKA Azmodie) he's the Linux Society web master

Hope all is well simon, and i look forward to meeting you at one of the
meetings

Cheers

Arron Finnon

President

The UAD Linux
Users Society

Hi Arron,
I only mentioned a web site as i was not sure of the procedure within the TLUG. I can't attend meetings as i work till 10pm but, I would be only to happy to meet you and other members any morning of your choice. I'm just looking to get involved and help in any way I can.

regards..

Dave Thornton

Chat on IRC, #tlug on dundee.lug.org.uk

now.