[dundee] iptables and fair network usage

Nistur nistur at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 21 19:13:41 BST 2007

Thanks Kris, that is exactly what we were looking for :)
However, I am once again having fun with our old friend speedtouch
(woo!) I have got the IPCop set up and running and everything would seem
to be ok, I log in and set up PPPoA, it says "Please upload firmware"
fair enough, I upload the firmware it asks for. Then I go back to the
home page and hit the Connect button that replaced the message "There
are Errors in your setup" and it says "Connecting", great, that part was
easy, now to get it off connecting... I can tell it to disconnect and it
goes back to idle, I thought I'd try and be clever, I set up ssh and
connect like that. ppp0 didn't exist as a device, strange. lsmod
revealed no speedtch module loaded, tried modprobe speedtch and that
gave no errors. 5 Minutes later and it had removed the module again.
I am now running on our Linksys router that works fairly well, although
under the stress our network would give under normal circumstances,
lasts about an hour before freezing up. I'm trawling the murky web to
try and find guides or anything as to how I can get speedtouch working
with IPCop. I believe it's because the modem's a royal pain in the
backside, it has an initialization phase during which you have to send
some particular data, I believe this is a problem we had before when we
had Gentoo on the box, we just loaded the firmware at a particular time
at boot and it tried to connect at the right time.
Anyone actually know what the hell I'm talking about? 'Cause I don't :S

Thanks for your help so far.
Nistur