[dundee] iptables and fair network usage

Nistur nistur at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 24 20:33:38 BST 2007

Ok, I gave up with ipcop, and decided against smoothwall for now. I
installed Ubuntu server 6.06 and got one step further, the speedtouch
modem now works perfectly, remembering iptables and the hell it caused
before I went about looking for a web based GUI. I got webmin and it
seems to do everything we want, several times over by the looks of
things. I however am having trouble setting up, and I believe it's
partly my stupdity, but also partly the setup. To begin with I just made
a shell script to set the same tables as we had last year (is basically
the NAT code block from
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/home-router-howto.xml with minor
alterations to interfaces etc) however it let no traffic through.
I attempted to use the "Shoreline firewall" module in webmin and every
time I tested it, it blocked all traffic, even me, having to run to the
router with a spare keyboard and reset the iptables from the shell
script by guesswork.
I then tried "Iptables firewall" Which I thought would be more what I
was used to and therefore I might understand it a little better. The
only difference with that one was it didn't lock up the system when I
tried it. Then I tried the "Linux firewall" and was surprised to find
that it was more like what I was expecting, basically an iptables
frontend with nothing automagically setting anything else. However, it
complained about my original script and tried to convert it. Everything
looked fine, but still had the same effect, no internets. Even setting
the "Linux Firewall" to the lowest setting, which set ALLOW to all
packets on all ports in all directions between all interfaces did nothing.

Now, I know the last thing should have done SOMETHING if not any of the
others. Someone please tell me where I'm going wrong.

Thanks for your help so far and for any to come.
Nistur