[dundee] UK Schools & Micrrosoft

gordon dunlop gordon at zubenel.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Oct 26 23:05:04 BST 2007

Hi All,
1. - If the people without rss newsfeeds have not heard the news about
advice to UK schools and Microsoft software here it is:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/133436/uk-schools-advised-to-avoid-microsoft.html

2. - The Taylug website - I am updating this website as often as I can,
thanks to other Abertay Linux Society members for support especially
Arron,Lee,Kris & all the others. We will get there simply because we
love Linux and the penguins will march on. As long as you look at the
website on a weekly basis it should keep you reasonably informed, the
link to Abertay Linux society will you give extra information.

3. For newer members to Linux this is a howto in linking up Firefox with
your email client as regards to online mailto connections.
example : In a terminal  $ type thunderbird. This will give you
usr/bin/thunderbird or if other email clients e.g. usr/bin/kmail. Open
Firefox, in the address  bar type about::config.
This will get you into the Firefox configuration editor. With the cursor
right-click the mouse which will give you a pop-up menu, select new and
from the next pop-up menu select string. In the dialogue box "enter
preference name" enter - network.protocol-handler.app.mailto then enter
/usr/bin/thunderbird or whatever your email client is and click OK.
Firefox should be interlinked with your email system.

3. This is not a Linux topic but for all ebayers, I am one and I found
it funny,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv0aPV9Pg3M

4. Finally, I think I lost my spare set of spectacles at the Abertay
meeting last night, did anyone notice a blue spectacle case after I
left? Doesn't matter, I will ask at Security tomorrow, this has happened
a couple of times before (my mate Ian on Abertay Security is going to
rib me for this), I don't care if he calls me absent-minded, I can take
it. I hope all this information is of value to people.