[dundee] Linux virtual machines in Windows XP

gordon dunlop gordon at zubenel.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Sep 8 10:58:54 BST 2007

Hi All.

I have been installing Linux virtual machines on some of my family's
Windows XP computers ( they are elderly and concerned about security, 70
years old plus). I decided to use virtualbox rather than VMWare (which I
use) because it is supposed to be more user friendly. Virtual box can be
downloaded from:

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

We are talking about machines that are about 6 years old and have
processors of about 1Ghz. I have found that the bare minimum RAM memory
within the system should be 512MB (768MB preferred), this is because a
256MB virtual memory is required for the installation from a Linux live
cd, an ordinary Linux installation disk would require a bit less. After
the installation of virtualbox I put in a live Linux Cd. I started up
virtual box and selected NEW system, I created a virtual image of 5
megabytes (recommended minimum) with a RAM memory of 256 MB (
recommended minimum with a live Linux CD). I changed the settings to
include cd/dvd,USB support and I also increased the setting of the video
memory from 8MB to 32 MB. I left the networking to NAT. I have found
that the Internet works flawlessly in the virtual Linux system in a
wireless computer without having to change network settings or having to
use static Internet addresses within the virtual machine.

This means that a virtual Linux system can be used in places that
require Windows authentication logons e.g. local wireless Intranet
systems in Universities, Institutions and Businesses. The Internet logon
is initially accessed in your Windows machine and then browsing is then
done within your virtual Linux machine.