[dundee] Upgrading PHP version

chris wyllie cgwyllie at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 12 12:43:50 BST 2007

Hello folks,

I'm hoping somebody can kinda roughly guide me through upgrading the PHP
version on a server via SSH. Currently the server's version is 5.1.6 and I
need access to the hooks implemented in version 5.2.x and the APC extension.
I think the server is running Red Hat or Fedora but I could be wrong. I know
it's not Debian.

Is it as simple as untaring the source and the usual configure>make>make
install steps or is there more to it? Also, once upgraded, is installing the
APC extension difficult?

Thanks in advance for any help :) I'd be willing to look at alternatives too
if somebody can suggest any.

  Chris